Back to School for Mandela Day
Back to School for a Day is inspired by the notion that anybody can make a difference through donating their time, knowledge, skills and resources. These simple acts can play a positive role in the basic education of our youth.
Hear the call, Be the change for Mandela Day every day until the end of August
Join us in ensuring no learner is left behind by purchasing an ICT learner support pack, you can help a learner back to school, while safe at home.
We are facing unprecedented times. The COVID-19 pandemic has challenged the status quo like never before. Day-to-day schooling has become almost impossible to conduct, causing anxiety amongst Governments across the globe.
This Mandela Day, Adopt-a-School Foundation is running a collective campaign throughout the month of July and August, encouraging corporates and individuals to support learners whom have been impacted by COVID-19, with ICT packs to encourage teaching and learning. This year has been a particularly challenging one for schools and learners, especially in disadvantaged areas where distance learning is simply not a viable option. Aligned to the Nelson Mandela Foundation’s focus areas and the National Development Plan Goal 1 that states, provision of quality education for all children.
There has been lost schooling time – the Foundation encourages excellence in learning and teaching and therefore in order to support learners with lost time and to support learners whom cannot access the physical school environment due to comorbidities Learners who cannot return to school are also not be left behind. We need to ensure that they continue to remain positively engaged and learning whilst at home.
We are calling on all South Africans to purchase support packs for learners who cannot return to school, to provide them with all the resources they need to learn effectively at home.
We need your assistance to purchase these packs for learners to go back to school, whilst staying safe at home.
To find out more about this collective campaign, contact Cassandra Pireu-Pilossof on firstname.lastname@example.org
Learner support packs
Grade R to 4 learner support packs
Tablets with cover Earphones Fleece jacket, 1l hand sanitiser, Two children’s face masks and water bottle, Stationery set, including: Crayons, Colouring pencils, Colouring-in books, Safety scissors, Playdough and Workbooks
Grade 5 to 12 learner support packs
Tablet with cover and insurance, USB with pre-loaded off-line content, micro USB 2.0 adapter, earphones, book light, study guides, fleece jacket, 1l hand sanitiser, two face masks, Desktop stationery set, including: pens, pencils, ruler, scissors, tape, staples, stapler, stapler remover, eraser and sharpener.
It would incredible if you could consider supporting a learner, a grade or a school.
Additionally, in response to a growing call for volunteer participation and involvement in the Mandela Day initiative, which takes place on 18 July, the Foundation has developed a toolkit for individuals and companies who are interested in hosting virtual fundraising campaigns to support this initiative.
Employee Giving Donation Campaign
An employee giving campaign is a charitable donation by a corporation that matches an employee’s donXation to an eligible non-profit organization, most often rand for rand.
A is an admirable way to increase employee engagement and donations while multiplying the positive impact on your community and elevating your company’s reputation. As employees donate to an elected charity, your company can match their contributions creating a win-win-win.
How does it work:
- An employee will elect to have a minimum amount deducted from their salary either monthly or as a once off during a campaign.
- The organisation will then collate the total for the month donated by the employees and match their donation rand for rand and in doing so doubling the amount raised by the organisation.
- The organisation then advises the Foundation of the total amount, which is invoiced to the organisation for them to deposit the funds into the Foundations bank account.
- This process can be done monthly or as a once off during a fundraising campaign within the organisation to support the Foundation.
An Employee Giving form will have to be submitted to HR to process in order to have permission to deduct the donation.
All organisations that participate through the employee giving campaign will be acknowledge on the AAS social media pages, website and the quarterly newsletter.
Employee Giving Virtual Fundraisers
Ensure all fundraising virtual events have a GivenGain link for all funds to go directly to the Adopt-a-School Foundation fundraising account.
How to start setting up a virtual fundraiser for your organisation:
Choose a virtual fundraising event that suits your organisation
- Decide on a target to reach for your organisation
- Decide on a date and time for the fundraising event
- Create an invitation; include the hashtag, your social media page names, Adopt-a-School social media pages and include the GivenGain link
- Then setup all necessary logistics for the fundraiser
- Start sharing the invitation with all the links and Go Live on the day
- Share your pictures with Adopt-a-School Foundation
How to amplify on Social media: Comms
- Follow all Adopt-a-School Foundation Social Media pages
- Share your online fundraising project by tagging the Foundation
- Use the hashtag created for the campaign and tag the Foundation
- Share posts from the AAS social media pages.
Below are examples of easy to setup virtual fundraisers for your organisation:
These races can be in the form of running or cycling. Employees can form teams that will participate in a virtual race with other members to raise funds towards the campaign.
How will it work:
- A few challenges can be created to suit the different type of runners/cyclist on Apps that the participants choose to use such as Strava or Nike Running App, etc, which are compatible for IOS and Android devices.
- Teams will register on the App to take up the challenge that suits their fitness level
- Teams will be required to pay a small fee to register as part of the fundraiser
- The teams are to set a target and use our GivenGain account to start raising funds with their friends, family by asking them to donate a certain amount of money for every KM completed or a once off amount.
- The organisation to match all the money raised from the teams.
How to set up the challenge:
- Download a running APP, the Nike Run app allows for friends to invite each other and setup a running challenge that will show the on the leader board
Step 1: Create profile on the App
Step 2: Go to Challenges
Step 3: Create a Challenge
Step 4: Pick a distance or make it 6,7 kilometres as part of the 67 minutes for Mandela day, select dates and add friends/colleagues
Step 5: Start the challenge
This can be done on most of the running Apps
Netflix Watch Party
Different groups of people/employees can choose a genre and a date to have a Netflix watch party, of course this will require the individuals to have the Netflix account.
Netflix works on a month-to-month subscription so that allows the organisation to take a few subscriptions for this specific event if required for one month.
Netflix Party is a Chrome extension for watching Netflix remotely with friends, e.g., for movie nights with that long-distance special someone. It synchronizes video playback and adds group chat.
How will it work:
- Groups to be formed in order to manage the numbers per account but also to manage the different genre interest (numbers can be determined by the number of people that have Netflix subscriptions)
- The groups can choose what they want to watch; it can be a movie or a documentary – this will be up to each group (to binge watch a series – a new link will have to be created for each episode unfortunately)
- A group of colleagues can choose a movie and a night they would watch it together as if going to the movies together however it will from the comfort of their homes. It has chat capabilities while watching the movie which can be used to discuss views on the movie.
- It will only require one person from the group to download the Netflix Party Chrome Extension, then can invite other attendees by sharing a link which will allow everyone to chat to one another.
- Each person upon registering for a group can be requested to donate the value of a movie night out (movie ticket and popcorn) to fund raise for the campaign or a set fee to be charged based on the set target by the group itself or the company.
- Do be done through the GivenGain link created
- The groups can decide on the time, the movie and a day
How to set up the Watch Party:
Once all invitees have a Netflix account and Google Chrome, you will be able to use Netflix Party seconds following these steps:
- Go to the Netflix Party website and click “Install Netflix Party.”
- Once at the Chrome Web Store, click “Add to Chrome” and then “Add Extension.”
- On the upper right-hand corner, an “NP” icon will appear.
- Go to the Netflix website and select a movie or show to watch.
- Then click on the “NP” icon, and copy and paste the URL.
- Send the link to your friends and start watching together!
- If you receive a Netflix Party link, make sure you have the extension installed first. When you click on the link, you’ll be redirected to the Netflix website. Once there, click on the “NP” icon on the top right and join the watch party.
- Go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_B1YOIYM3Q for a quick tutorial
Internal Online Silent Auction
Employees would be requested to donate their pre-loved items that can be auctioned internally to raise funds towards the learner support packs.
The auction will be open to everyone to bid within the company. Employees can also choose to open it up to the families and friends to raise more funds by sharing a digital brochure developed by the organisation.
How will it work:
- The organisation will collect pre-loved items from employees they have donated
- A target to be set in order to measure progress
- A picture of each item will be uploaded on to the company’s website or a digital brochure designed with a price list that can be circulated or loaded onto the intranet
- A small registration fee can be charged as a sign of goodwill (optional)
- An internal auctioneer to be appointed that will receive all bids and keep track of the items and the cash raised (final purchases can be made through the Foundation’s snapscan or GivenGain account if the organisation is not comfortable with handling the finances)
- Won bids can be announced at the end of each day with an update of the amount raised to measure against the set target, length of auction will be determined by the number of items and interest shown
- The final raised amount to be announced to the organisation and will be put up on AAS’s social media pages and website as well announced on the monthly and quarterly newsletter
This will be a virtual themed social hour for employees to connect and catch up while fundraising for Adopt-a-School Foundation’s campaign.
These social hour sessions can take any format, it is up to the organisation to decide what they will look like and are not limited to examples below:
- Knowledge sharing
- Virtual 30 Seconds
- Cocktail mixology and many others
The idea is to have a fun hour session of engagement while reinforcing the fundraising element of the event.
How will it work:
- An hour session in the afternoon on a Friday, on any of the virtual meeting rooms the organisation is comfortable with (Zoom, Google meet, MS Teams, etc)
- The employees will be required to RSVP and donate any amount or the value of a night out through the GivenGain link created
- The organisation is encouraged to match the funds raised by the employees through the matching gift campaign
- The session can be led by a host to guide the process
How to setup the meeting:
- Open the communications video app of choice
- Create a meeting request with details of the event
- Include the GivenGain link
- Send to all and wait for the day of event
- Encourage colleagues to RSVP and donate
The organisation can choose to make it even more interesting by inviting an awesome speaker to engage with the employees as form of team building or personal development (it could be your CEO that does the engagement session).
This will be done through Quiznights.co.za team
Hosted online and on various video streaming platforms, the online quizzes can be geared from being fun and laid back right through to competitive with live scoring! Controlled by a team of video technicians, their events are revamping how colleagues and friends engage with each other and compete online!
The group can play as individuals, but we would recommend forming everyone into teams, with a team captain.
How will it work:
- Live quiz master
- Quiz master will ask questions and interact with the audience
- Questions will also be displayed on screen
- The quiz would last 60 minutes (depending on how many questions you want)
- Back end technician to assist with set up and maintenance (we use Zoom as out preferred video communications platform)
- Administration of answers and calibrating each round to see who the winners are
- The teams would be broken up into groups, and the team captain would submit the answer online to us
- These answers are captured on the back end my administrators
- At the end of the quiz, administration would tally up the scores and announce the winner
- The teams will be required to register and pay a fee as a donation
- The organisation can choose to have prizes for the teams that win.
Contact email@example.com to setup your organisation’s quiz night and there will be costs involved for the setup
To setup internally:
- Pick a video app
- Create a quiz email address
- To ensure fair’s fair, set up a new email address for the quiz so that everyone can send in their answers at the end of every round.
- Design your quiz
- Pick your quiz questions
- Send out your invites, and make them creative and fun
Click here for a Step by step tutorial
For any assistance please contact Ethel Sekgethelo on firstname.lastname@example.org
How to set up a GivenGain account
Go to https://www.givengain.com/join to start online fundraising project
- Sign up and create a profile on the GivenGain account
Search for charity of choice – Adopt-a-School Foundation,
Then select Adopt-a-School Foundation,
Search for Back to School for Mandela day and start donating
- Sign up to the GivenGain account
Search for Adopt-a-School Foundation,
Then select Adopt-a-School Foundation,
Click the start fundraising button which will create a fundraiser page
Then you can upload all the information you need to start fundraising (Add images and videos if you like (can supply these if required)
Once done, go live and share the link or copy the link to the virtual event invitation
Make sure all fundraising virtual events have a GivenGain link to ensure all funds go directly to the Adopt-a-School Foundation fundraising account.
The final raised amount will be put up on AAS’s social media pages and website as well announced on the monthly and quarterly newsletter.
“This is an opportunity for you to organise a corporate volunteer event that can engage your whole company in the ethos of giving back and investing their time to make a difference in education.”